Equine General Anaesthesia
- One section of hay can be offered overnight before general anaesthesia (GA) and a small amount of hay can be offered in the morning if GA is performed in the afternoon
- No hard feed should be given in the morning of the operation
- Water should be available up until 1 hour before surgery
- If the horse is grass-kept it should be brought into a stable with no food/hay 4-6 hours prior to surgery.
Requirements For The Operation
- Most procedures requiring a GA are carried out in a large mènage or outdoors.
- To perform a GA, we require a suitable environment which is dry, spacious and quiet.
- A clean bucket with warm water
- A clean, relaxed patient (if possible!).
- One capable person available to hold the patient
- The vet may need a nearby power point to provide extra lighting or for the use of electrical equipment if necessary, please check with the vet.
A consent form should be signed prior to the GA. This confirms the acceptance of the associated risks & authorisation for the relevant procedure to be carried out.